Why don’t you try making custard mooncakes with your family?
Happy Mid-autumn Festival (中秋节)! In Chinese households around the world, this weekend will present an excellent opportunity to get the family together and enjoy some culinary delights. Traditionally, during the Mid-Autumn Festival, mooncakes, watermelons, apples, red dates, grapes, and other offerings were prepared to worship the moon’s lunar cycle.
However, there is no exclusive way to celebrate the festival with people in different parts of China celebrating it with different customs. The only thing being a constant is the mooncake.
Nowadays, there are many kinds of mooncakes with different flavors. Custard mooncakes are one of the most popular as the crunchy crust wrapped in a sweet, creamy filling is a taste many can hardly resist. For those who live outside of China or don’t have much time to queue up to buy, we have prepared a super duper recipe to make custard mooncakes at home!
Of course, while making the mooncakes, you can also learn and discuss the history of the Mid-Autumn Festival with your family, chat about your recent lives, and treat the process of making mooncakes as a family activity. Without further do, let’s get started preparing ingredients.
Step 1: Prepare mooncake fillings
Ingredients for mooncake fillings (about 15 pcs):
- Egg 40g
- Granulated Sugar 70g
- Cake flour 26g
- Custard powder 24g
- Milk powder 24g
- Condensed milk 40g
- Coconut milk 100g
- Evaporated Milk / Full-fat milk 50g
- Unsalted butter 30g
- Salted egg yolk (optional) 4pcs
- Wash the surface of the salted egg, then separate the salted yolk from the egg white and take only the salted yolk.
- Prepare four salted egg yolks and bake them in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once baked, crush the yolks with a fork and set them aside.
- Mix cake flour, custard powder, milk powder, sugar, egg, condensed milk, coconut milk, Evaporated Milk / Full-fat milk, and add unsalted butter.
- Scoop well until there are no flour particles. Then steam it for about 10 to 12 minutes over medium heat.
- After steaming, crush and add the salted egg yolks, place them on the cling wrap, and gently knead them into a ball.
- Wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- When the filling has hardened, cut it to use about 22 grams of filling for each mooncake.
Step 2: Prepare Mooncake Pastry
Ingredients for mooncake pastry:
- Unsalted butter (room temperature) 120g
- Sugar 50g
- Egg 20g
- Cake flour 230g
- Custard powder 20g
- Evaporated Milk / Full-fat milk 20g
- Egg wash
- Corn syrup
- Put unsalted butter to room temperature, add sugar, eggs, custard powder, and cake flour, knead into a ball, and place on the cling wrap.
- Wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- After one hour, the semi-finished drunken skin products are rolled and cut, weighing about 28 grams.
- Flatten the meringue into a round shape, add the custard filling, wrap it well, and place it into the moon cake mold (If you don’t have a mooncake mold, you can use your imagination and whatever you like to make shapes).
- Please put it in a preheated oven at 230 degrees and bake for 5 minutes.
- Brush egg wash on top and place in the oven for two minutes. Sweep the egg, wash again and bake for two minutes.
- Sweep the syrup, put it in the oven for one to two minutes, and it’s done.
While enjoying yourself with your family, remember to take pictures of your work and share them with your friends! Thanks for being with us.
For video instructions, please find the link below by Happy Amy on YouTube: